Saturday, February 25, 2012

My Obsession

Nail polish is something to be treasured.  I know, I know, it's JUST nail polish!  However...think of those days when you feel like crappy-poo, your jeans are just a snidge too tight, or you have had some unforeseeable event overtake your life.  ENTER...NAIL POLISH!!!  With just a swipe of the brush you can turn any cloudy day right back into sunshine (ok, not really, but it does feel damn good when your nails are all pretty and shiny).  So began my obsession.  

Our lives are complicated. Period.  So we find that thing that makes us breathe a little deeper (unless the polish remover is open...*cough*cough*...no one likes that smell).  Through many difficult times in the past year, nail polish and nail art has helped me find some peace.  I always liked nail "shtuff" (yes I spelled it like that on purpose).  For the past 10 years or so I have made appointment after appointment to get my "pink and white" acrylic nail fill with my trusty nail tech "Tony".  He was a master.  My nails were always beautiful.  Sitting in that chair for 45 minutes every 3-4 weeks was my therapy.  So when suddenly we were undergoing infertility treatments, I had to let that go.  It was expensive and we needed to save every penny. I quickly rediscovered how much I loved doing my own nails.  It also became clear that I had been missing out on the fun by having a french manicure for as long as I could remember. Using color was so liberating!  Within a month my polish collection went from 5 bottles to 10.  

It has been a year since we started infertility treatments.  We have no baby and are accepting it will remain that way.  Through all the ups and downs, I turned to nail art.  My collection quickly grew to "ridiculous" (I am not ready to admit how many bottles I own).  When I was feeling crappy, I did my nails, mostly copying designs from YouTube and the internet (God bless Google search).  Slowly, I got more skilled, bought a professional set of brushes and started doing friend's nails to practice.  It has been my therapy.  So, long story short, I am here with my friend sharing what we love.  Nail polish.  Hopefully you find it as fun as we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment